Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Friendly Reminder for Teachers #2: Read Something New!

Last week, guest blogger, Dusan Sekulic, shared his Friendly Reminder #1: Teachers, Be Honest with Your Students.  This week, Dusan looks at bright spark students & enriching their minds and yours.  Over to Dusan...


Photo by ImageryMajestic

 

A Friendly Reminder for Teachers #2: Read Something New!

The other day at school, one of my bright Year 7 students approached me after class to ask me one of the greatest questions anyone could ever submit to an English teacher: “Sir, what books do you recommend I read?” This was followed by: “I am reading Pride and Prejudice right now, but I also like Charles Dickens.” Here was a student, in Year 7 mind you, so keen on reading and expanding her mind, whilst surrounding herself with only some of the best company of authors already. I needed a moment to recover from her question.


I next thought, how do I answer this enquiry? So many novels, so much literature at the tip of my tongue, and my mind kept spawning more suggestions with each passing moment. However, these were books that I enjoyed reading growing up. Perhaps she would not share my admiration of them in the slightest bit. What genres does she tend to favour? Maybe it's not science fiction after all, maybe it's not Tolkien. I needed time to prepare my response, so I settled for: “Come back tomorrow after class, and I will give you a list of books to consider.”

That evening I pondered several things, but the one reflection that came to mind foremost was the common practice of teachers to continually select literature and materials in their lessons that they had themselves done so many times before. Content that they were so familiar with that they could arrive at school twenty minutes before class started and have a tattered copy of reading comprehension questions for a particularly well known novel ready for the photocopier's bright lights.

Why the stagnation? Why the laziness and desire for routine? We have all been guilty of it before. I know we have our own lives to live after school, but why not take a delightful evening and read a new novel or a new poem - old or new - then come up with fresh, insightful activities for your students to work on? Not only will it stimulate their minds, but ours as well! Reading something new for the betterment of our students. We get to enjoy our profession even more.

I know it might not always be possible, as there are usually certain curriculums in place throughout most schools and teaching boards. Also, it is more time consuming. Nevertheless, that is not always the case. We have opportunities to select some works to study. At the very least, passages to be analysed for content, themes, sentence structure and so forth. Making it work within the boundaries provided by the school. When you get a chance, take it.

Which brings me back to my bright student's request and another thought: Too many times we choose to have our students study literary material that we know in all its intricacies and that we think they would like. Yes, they are fantastic books, but we should also make a better effort to discover what genres and titles our students like – no matter how silly we think they are – and incorporate them in our lessons. At least every so often.

The classics and time honoured traditional literature will always be there, ready to be explored when the time comes. Perhaps it is I who needs to ask someone, a student perhaps: “What new treasure do you recommend I read?”

-Dusan Sekulic

If you enjoyed reading about Dusan's teaching adventures, and want to know more about teaching in London and the jobs we have on offer, be sure to sign up for this week's webinar Teaching in London 101.  Space is limited. Use discount code "friend" to attend the webinar for 50% off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails