Thursday, January 24, 2013

Teaching Jobs in London: What Types of Jobs Are There?

*This is an excerpt from the award-winning ebook, Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians
Most students in London wear school uniforms.

Job Possibilities for Teachers in London

So, what type of teaching do you want to do in London? There are plenty of options, so let’s break them down one by one.


Day-to-day supply can be a great way to teach in a variety of schools and gain invaluable and wide-ranging experience. Many schools require supply cover (you may know it as relief, substitute or emergency teaching) at the last minute for absences and illness. Cover for courses are usually booked in advance, but sickness cover is often only reported that morning, requiring both the agencies and you to react instantly!

Daily supply requires a great deal of flexibility and quick thinking but brings its own rewards and is an excellent way to gain a great deal of London experience in a short period of time. Agencies also often find that teachers are requested back after initial day-to-day assignments, sometimes taking a longer-term position in a school with which they have built a relationship.


Long-term positions are usually a term or more and are for those wanting to take on the whole role and responsibilities of being a full-time teacher with the planning and commitment that requires. Working in one school for an extended length of time often sees teachers becoming intrinsically involved in the school community, attending Parents’ Evenings and events and taking on other roles, e.g. as a Form Tutor in Secondary schools.


For those teachers interested in permanent placements, agencies typically work with schools looking to recruit permanent staff who have years of experience in the UK.

Special Needs

Some teaching agencies have Special Needs divisions as well. SEN offers the exciting opportunity to work with students with different kinds of Special Needs in both Special Schools and Mainstream.
Their needs may include:

Severe or Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.

These children may require individual support and even help with feeding or toileting. They will follow an IEP (Individual Education Plan).


Autistic children find it difficult to relate to others. Severity varies.

Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties

Students with these needs may find it difficult to cope in the mainstream and may be referred to Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) where they can receive the support they need.

HI or VI

Hearing or Visually Impaired children may be educated in either mainstream or separate centres.

Learning Support in Mainstream

Pupils with a Statement of Special Educational Needs, or at Levels 1-4, will be allocated extra support for a set number of hours a week.

You may have worked with young people with Special Needs during your teaching career or as part of your studies. You may have worked with adults or even have personal experience. Even if you do not have a specific qualification, this area of teaching may be open to you. Many teachers in fact find a niche within SEN and if you have an interest, usually your agency’s specialist Consultant will spend some time with you at interview.

To apply for any of the jobs, simply submit your CV/Resume and cover letter to apply AT  *Please note: January and February are the busiest months for interviews for teaching in London. It may take us longer to contact you, but we do make an effort to connect with every applicant.  

If you're still not sure, check out the testimonials to see what other Canadian teachers have to say about their experiences teaching in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!


Related Posts with Thumbnails