Monday, December 19, 2011

Teaching Teachers How to Get Teaching Jobs Abroad

I'm hitting the road in the new year, this time to McGill's education department to teach their student-teachers how to apply for teaching jobs overseas.  I'll be doing a four hour workshop, drawing on my own experience (Costa Rica, Guatemala, Bangladesh & London, England) as well as the experiences of the teachers that I've recruited and worked with in the last 7 years of my experience.

I'm really looking forward to this workshop, as I've done workshops at University of Victoria as well as Queen's, McGill and Nipissing, but none have been as long as 4 full hours.  With so much time, I'll be able to cover:
  • How to research teaching agencies, recruiters & schools that are hiring teachers overseas
  • CV/Resume Writing for teaching jobs abroad
  • Cover Letter writing for teaching jobs abroad, with samples of the best cover letter I've ever received and the worst (identities hidden of course)
  • Interviewing skills for specific teaching jobs overseas, with mock interviews & sample questions that every recruiter will ask.
  • What it's really like to teach in a foreign country.  Culture shock, keeping in touch with friends & family "back home", visas etc.
  • Where can you teach abroad? Who's hiring and where? 
I'll include time for breaks, and will be sure to bring my laptop with videos & slides so the crowd doesn't have to listen to me talking the whole time.  We expect about 40 student-teachers to come, and I have to say - I'm really looking forward to meeting them all.  I love this part of my job!  As a teacher, there's nothing better than getting into a new classroom & sharing what I know, and of course, learning from the class myself.

What else do you think I should focus on?  If you're in teachers college & want me to come to your school, please leave me a comment below. 

Resources for Teaching in London

Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog

Like this blog? Be sure to flick "follow" on the right hand side so you're the first to get our blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails