Monday, August 22, 2011

RIP Jack Layton



Jack Layton, Canada's NDP leader, passed away this morning.  You can read more about it here

I met Jack  years ago, when I worked at Octopus Books, a small independent bookstore in Ottawa.  Jack had written a book called Homelessness which I was helping to launch.  We organized an event for about 200 people to hear Jack speak on the issue, and I remember having to turn people away.  He was gentle and kind, and spent a few minutes talking with me about the politics around an independent bookstore in the age of Chapters and Amazon.

I'm hopeful that Canada will have another politician with Jack's charisma, but for now, today is for grieving the loss of a great Canadian leader.  Rest in Peace Jack.  You will be missed.

Resources for Teaching in London

Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog

Like this blog? Be sure to flick "follow" on the right hand side so you're the first to get our blog posts.
 

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails