Social media has completely changed the way we move to other countries. Now you can network online with others who have "been there and done that" and people of like minds who are also going through the same steps that you are.
So to help, here are our favourites for networking with other Canadian in the UK:
- Canuck Abroad - Here's an online forum for Canadians scattered across the globe. The UK discussion group is quite active & any question you have about moving to London has probably already been asked & answered in there.
- Network Canada - this is a non-profit group for Canadians living in London. They're also the authors of Living in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians. They hold monthly social events which are quite popular.
- Classroom Canada on Facebook - I have to post this one of course! Here's a place to ask questions, meet other teachers, look at teacher photos and get an idea of what we're all about. We also have a private members facebook group for our selected teachers to meet each other & share ideas/resources.
- TES Community Forum - The Times Educational Supplement (TES) is a newspaper and website. The Overseas Trained Teacher forum is very active and a great place to discuss issues with teaching in the UK as a foreign trained teacher. A quick note: I find quite a few of the comments to be very negative against teaching in London and the UK in general, so try to take everything said with an open mind. Some people use online forums as venting grounds.
- Canadians in London Facebook Group - Today this group has over 1,100 members. It's a meeting place for Canadians looking for other Canadians to hang out with. I've also seen postings for flats to rent. I know most of our teachers have joined the group.
For resources on Teaching in London
Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog