Monday, February 14, 2011

Meet Classroom Canada's newest recruiter - Anissa Paulsen


First of all, Happy Valentine's Day! I hope all of you have a wonderful day planned.

I thought today would be a nice day to finally introduce myself. I'm Anissa Paulsen and I've been with Classroom Canada now for about five months working as their newest Recruitment Manager. Basically, that means I am responsible for interviewing and reviewing files for many of our new teacher and teaching assistant applicants.

I'm already enjoying my time with this wonderful company. It's exciting to meet new teachers and help you prepare for this exciting next step in your teaching careers. Actually, it's one of the reasons I love my job - it gives me an opportunity to share my passion for cross-cultural experiences and to help others achieve their dreams to live and work abroad.

Anyway, if you'd like to know more about myself (since I always get to ask you loads of personal questions in our interviews) read on below.


Name: Anissa Paulsen
Degrees: B.A. English, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
M.A. Museum Education, San Francisco State University, USA

How long have you been working for Classroom Canada?
5 months now. This is a busy company and the time has gone fast!
Why did you choose to work with Classroom Canada?
I met Victoria about three years ago and was always intrigued by her company because I used to teach abroad (in Bulgaria) and I also once lived in England. I'm very interested in the goals and mission of Classroom Canada and my role of facilitating the process to get Canadian teachers working and experiencing life abroad. I think it is one of the most powerful things you can do in your life. I also know that Classroom Canada is a professional company that takes care of their teachers and teacher assistants and I am proud to be a part of this fine organization.

What is your position with Classroom Canada?
I recruit Teachers and Teaching Assistants from across Canada to work in inner city London schools. This involves everything from advertising, presenting at college career fairs, interviewing applicants, checking references, verifying applicants' past teaching experiences, assisting new recruits with the big task of moving abroad, answering a lot of questions and giving a lot of advice!
What is the one piece of advice you can offer a Canadian teacher considering the move to London?
Go for it! It will be a once in a lifetime experience and you will not regret it. Make sure you have an open mind, a sense of humour, and a hearty sense of adventure. London is a fantastic gateway into the rest of Europe - there is so much to see, do, and experience you will not be bored. Sure, there will be times that will be difficult and days when you feel like you want to cry and go back to the familiar comforts of life in Canada, but...don't do it! When I was in Bulgaria teaching for two years, my fellow teachers and I had a motto: "Every bad day at least makes a great story!"
Questions? Comments? Wanderings? Please share below.

If you would like to become one of our outstanding teachers or teaching assistants in London, just apply through our website. Also, be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians. Sign up for our newsletters and help spread the word to your friends and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails