Monday, September 27, 2010

What Television Shows do Canadian & American Teachers Watch in London, England?

My colleagues in the Classroom London office have been posting on their blog & facebook about the BBC's new program called "The Classroom Experiment" - a new tv show in which an education expert takes over a Year 8 classroom (aka "grade 8" in North America) and tests out his theories on what could improve the quality of education.  Apparently, this show is amazing because all my colleagues are raving about it.  Some of our Canadian teachers in London have also been glued to the "tele" for this one, which prompted me to ask on facebook:

"Hey Teachers in London! What tv shows do you watch most there?"

Here are their replies: 

Kayla: The Inbetweeners, Skins, X Factor/Britain's Got Talent, Being Human 

Bryn: I watch BBC iPlayer and Channel 4's 4oD like they're going out of style. Anything I can get my hands on. I especially love the BBC documentaries, plus the UK version of SYTYCD (is it coming back??), Material Girl, The Inbetweeners, Waterloo Road, How to Look Good Naked... oh there are so many! Not to mention the American shows... Glee, Big Bang Theory, Ugly Betty... Watched that Excluded show recommended on the Classroom blog and that was really good too. Not bad for someone who hasn't had a TV since 2005, huh?

Trisha: Who Do You Think You Are? (genealogy documentary series), Vexed, Grandma's House, How To Look Good Naked, some cookery programs like Come Dine With Me (although that may not technically count as most people on the program don't really know what they're doing). That being said, I don't watch much TV as I'm currently addicted to Brothers & Sisters and Matthew Rhys. :)

Bryn: Oh I forgot The IT Crowd and Sugar Rush. I love how candid the shows are over here. What I tend to do is watch a whole season (or two) at a time on a rainy day.

Matt: Shameless, Spooks, Grand Designs, Doctor Who!, Cutting Edge (V good channel 4 documentary series) and lots of trashy docusoaps such as BBC3's Dont tell the bride!

Alex:  While I don't live there any more, there was one show that met all of my tv needs: Peep Show. Oh, that and Embarrassing Bodies (the Brits truly are shameless!). K and one more add-on... I got hooked on Eastenders. God, I miss the UK.

Amie: come dine with me and the inbetweeners are my favorite. and victorian farm!! and the IT crowd. my parents loved misfits but i havent seen it yet

Amie: and embarrassing bodies!! i miss british tv so much!
I tried to link to all the British television shows above, so if you're like me and haven't heard of most of them, click on the links to see more.  What I found most interesting is that two channels came up most in our teachers picks: BBC and Channel 4.

Head over to youtube to watch clips of the shows that you probably won't know in Canada or the USA, but will become hooked on when you move to teach in London, England. WARNING: there will be swearing, sex-talk and all round subjects that you wouldn't expect on an education blog - but this isn't a post about education - it's a post about British Television!  And we all know the British humour is a bit more raunchy than our own.

Any more to add to the list?  Please share your thoughts below.

Resources for Teaching in London

Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog

Like this blog? Be sure to flick "follow" on the right hand side so you're the first to get our blog posts.

3 comments:

  1. Just watched the clips from The Classroom Experiment, but I'm so disappointed the whole thing isn't on iPlayer. That's the only way I can watch it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Bryn! Netflix just came to Canada last week so I'm trying to watch lots of television shows that I don't get on cable, but it crashes my computer for some reason. I'm not sure if any of the British shows are on there yet. From what I can tell, there's no way we can watch these shows from Canada or the USA (well, legally anyway)...but I'm hoping someone else can tell me otherwise.

    Looks like I have a whole lot of tv watching to do when I'm in London next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My neighbor Maria is a teacher and she loves to watch are you smarter than fifth grader.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails