Its the first day of summer and for those of us on the West Coast of Canada you'd think it was the first day of spring. Or maybe winter even. It's cold people! Where is the sun?
It's in London my friends! Teaching in London is tough through the winter months simply because the sun doesn't shine all that often - much like the west coast of Canada. But then when spring comes, it really lightens everyone's moods. And now with summer...oh boy! Bring on the fun!
Here are my Top 10 Reasons I Love Spring in London:
1. The clouds shift & the sun breaks through. After months of dreary grey weather, everyone becomes so ridiculously happy!
2. The streets come alive with energy. Little European outfits & shopping galore - Oxford Street, Regent Street, Picadilly Circus (all right around our London office & accommodations for our teachers - lucky us!).
3. Festivals, festivals and more festivals - like music? Like art? Like dancing? London's the place to be in spring & summer for all the festivals no matter what your tastes are. Have one to recommend? Please share below!
4. Free! There are an enormous amount of free things to do in London - check out the Time Out magazine & website every week and you'll see what I mean.
5. Pull out your bike & ride! Because biking around London rocks when the sun is shining.
6. The roller blade tricksters come out to play. Watch them in Hyde Park & join in if you are so daring.
7. Brighton Beach is only an hour train ride from London so if you like the ocean & need some fresh ocean air - just grab a train & off you go.
8. The teaching gets just a little bit easier. The end of the year is close, the reports are being written and the SATs (national tests) are done. The students love the sun just as much as the teachers do, and somehow I always find that the behaviour management part of the teaching job in London is just a wee bit less annoying. You can always bribe the students with game-time outside if they're really good!
9. World Cup. 'Nuff said.
10. Wimbledon. I love taking off straight from the office or from school to head down to Wimbledon and catch a live match - Serena Williams is awesome. Love her.
And that's all folks! Although there are probably a hundred more reasons to love London in the spring & summer, I'll leave you with these for now.
What do you think? What would your list include?
Resources for Teaching in London
Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog
Mark your calendar: July 19th 2010 is our 3rd birthday & we're throwing a HUGE party right here on the blog. Come! Leave a comment! Win a prize!