Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Oprah, the Glee Cast, Chicago and Me



I spent my Easter weekend in Chicago with friends of mine who managed to get me tickets to see the cast of Glee on Oprah.  The actual show is airing today, so I figured it's a good day to tell you all why I'm such a Gleek.  No, it has nothing to do with teaching in London, (although my colleagues in the London office love the show as well) so really - shouldn't be part of this blog of mine, but I just can't help it. I have to tell you how amazing this Oprah & Glee experience was!

First off, I love television shows about teenagers.  I always have & always will.  My favourites are Glee (of course!), Friday Night Lights, and Waterloo Road (which is really about the teachers in an inner city UK school, but the teenagers play a vital role).  I still love Degrassi, but the new 90210 just doesn't float my boat. I'm not sure why.

Anyway, back to Oprah & Glee.  What can I say? I laughed, I cried.  It was Oprah. It was Glee.  It's exactly what you think it will be like & then some more. 

The Oprah Audience Team came out before Oprah to get the crowd pumped, dancing & cheering. The Gleeks were in full Cheerio uniforms, and Sue Silvester's male look-a-like was hilarious.  A mom in the audience talked about how her daughter has Cystic Fybrosis & watched the Glee shows in the hospital for a month as it was the only thing that made her feel better. The daughter then spoke & cried & the cast hugged her. That's when I cried. I mean, who wouldn't?  It was beautiful.

The Glee cast performed a few songs for us, and talked to the audience while the commercials rolled, mostly about how grateful they are to be on Oprah and how they love being on a show that deals with real issues.  Some of the women in the audience shouted out their love & adoration for Cory & Mark.  I almost screamed "Hey Cory! I'm from Victoria BC too! I go to your favourite coffee shop on Cook St!"  But I didn't, because I'm secretly very shy.

I wore the red dress in the very far right hand of the audience, so I won't likely be spotted in the audience at all. I should have dressed up like a real Gleek.  They put all the Gleeks in one area & told them to scream & dance like crazy.  And so they did.  (I was actually relieved that I didn't have to be in that area - that would have been intense!)

So that my friends, was my Oprah & Glee experience.  It's on today if you want to check it out!

Resources for Teaching in London, England
Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians ebook
Sign up for our newsletters
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog

2 comments:

  1. Any writer's blog that starts with the word Oprah is going to immediately get my attention lol! Every writer's dream, to have their book featured on Oprah. But how fun to be in the audience! Thanks for posting this, I vicariously thrilled at your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen! Love your Xena profile pic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails