Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's World Book Day! What are you reading?

I love World Book Day.  I love reading and I absolutely the authors that put their passions into writing books.  Thank you authors!

To celebrate, I thought I'd share with you what I'm currently reading. I have the multiple-books-at-one-time syndrome but I'll narrow it down to just a few that you might enjoy as well.



The book that I'm spending the most time devouring is Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson.  If you like the idea of teaching peace with books and not bombs, then this is the book for you. It's the sequel to Three Cups of Tea which was a fabulous, inspiring & motivational read about how Mortenson built a school in a remote area of Pakistan. Since then, he has helped to build more than 130 schools, and many of those for girls who would otherwise not receive an education.  Brilliant. Can not recommend these books enough.








The second book I am reading is What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell.  I just started it last night, so I can't say too much but I do love his writing and the way he sees the world so I have no doubt that I will love it.  I loved Outliers, and use it often in my tutoring of math with grade 8-10 students.  Highly recommend his books.




What's on your shelf today?  Anything you'd care to share with us? Please share below!
 
Resources About Teaching in London, England:
Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog
Sign Up for Our Newsletters

2 comments:

  1. OK I'm picking up Stones Into Schools by Greg Mortensen. I loved his book Three Cups of Tea...didn't know he had written another one. Thanks! I'm just starting two books...The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I really enjoyed his other books and will probably be up late with this one. The other book is called "Fear to Freedom" by Rosemary Trible. I'm really excited to have come across this book as it's a biography about a woman who found the power of love, prayer, and forgiveness to be free of her fears and find meaning in life again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For teaching literature, I would highly recommend Educating Esme by Esme Raji Codell. It was a quick, inspiring, and funny read about a teacher's first year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails