Monday, February 22, 2010

What are the Differences Between Teaching in the UK and Teaching in Canada?


Sarah Ebner recently asked me to write a guest post for her SchoolGate blog and I enthusiastically agreed. I love her blog.  I am honoured to write a piece, and also very intimidated!  For those of you who don't know it, Sarah's blog is read by thousands.   Eek!

The blog post itself will be about the differences between teaching in the UK and teaching in Canada. It's a question I am often asked and I can spend hours discussing.  But I need to write this piece in less than 500 words and try to make it clear for readers from anywhere in the world, and particularly for British readers who might not know much about our education system in Canada. 

So how do I do it?

Well, I ask you of course! 

What do you think?  What are the biggest differences between teaching in the UK and teaching in Canada?  If you could pick just a few, what would they be?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Resources About Teaching in London, England
Classroom Canada Website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog

1 comment:

  1. The way the school system is structured here allows students to be much more disengaged with their learning. They aren't assessed in any sort of meaningful way until Year 11 with their GCSEs.

    Students are more likely to take a bit more ownership and responsibility for their learning in Canada, particularly in high school, because if you don't pass Grade 9 English, you sure as hell aren't going to Grade 10 English!! Kids in the UK are pushed through each school year, and then you suddenly get kids in Year 11 , writing their coursework and exams and they realize that these students haven't been able to access the curriculum for a variety of reasons.

    It's so complicated and I'm sure there's many viewpoints on this one, but that's my observation so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails