Wednesday, February 17, 2010

For Canadians Abroad - Missing Home & The Olympics

Quite a few of our teachers in London have talked about missing home more with the Olympics being on.  They are staying up late, and getting up early to watch the games and talk to their families about the golds & silvers being won.

They talk about how the BBC just doesn't know how to call a hockey game (to quote Heather, "There were no 'holy MACANAWS!' happening!")  And while they love being in London, and having the opportunities to teach and travel all over Europe, they do miss "home" at times like these.  I completely understand.  When the world's eyes are on Canada, and all you want to do is just be there, but also live abroad & travel the world - well, it's a funny spot to be in.

So, for those teachers & teaching assistants, here are a couple of cool videos from the Opening Ceremonies.   If you have any you'd like to share, please let me know.

Also - if you are in London and want to watch the men's hockey games with other Canadians, check out this post to see where.







Resources About Teaching in London, England:
Classroom Canada website
Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians
Canadians & Americans in the UK blog




6 comments:

  1. I feel really lucky to be in Canada this week. I wasn't even thinking about the Olympics when I planned this trip, but it has certainly worked out in my favour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was thinking of you when I wrote this post. I wondered how you were holding up since your last blog post. I had a feeling that you would be appreciating the Canadiana around you this week. Sometimes, all we need is a bit of "home" - wherever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still having a hard time, but being home is helping.

    It feels weird, though, too! Canada's seems like a totally different place when you've been away from it for 5.5 months. It gives me perspective on how much London has really become my new home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. Read Heather's post today to get a sense of what it's like after being away for almost 2 years.

    And don't we sound funny? I loved it when I could actually hear the accent that we have. It took a whole for my life in London to really take over, and for the accents to settle in, & when I returned to Canada all I could hear was "ooooot" and "abooooot!" I giggled every time. Oh and, "Well how boot that eh?" We are hicks. We really are. And I love that about us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya I read Heather's post and it rang so true. I haven't even been gone half a year, and already it's apparent how my friends lives are continuing on without me (and with each other) while mine is going in new directions. There are pros and cons to that, but I know that I made the right decision for me.

    It's so funny about the Canadian accent. That's the first thing I noticed too. Not every Canadian that way, but it's certainly more common than I ever would have conceded before. In my case, though, the hickishness of it really turns me off. Give me an East London accent over a Canadian accent any day!

    But accents aside, I'm still immensely proud to be Canadian and it was really amazing to watch Alexandre Bilodeau and Maelle Ricker winning those gold medals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Canadian teachers in Australia watching the tv madly when we can to get a glimpse of the Olympics. Loved the coverage for the Opening Ceremonies here in Australia.
    http://leadingout.net/blog/vancouver-winter-olympic-games-2010-begin/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails