Monday, December 7, 2009

Teacher Recruitment and Classroom Canada's Big Decision


I am taking a year out from the university job fairs.  This might mean forever, but for now, I see it as one year off from the career fairs.

Normally, I send one of our teacher-turned-recruiters or myself to university teacher job fairs across the country.  We speak with new teachers about what it's like to teach in London and hand out a bunch of brochures about Classroom Canada.  We literally meet thousands of new teachers in gymnasiums and basements, with hundreds of other recruiters for school boards and teaching agencies.   It's intense, costs a whole lot of money, and after 5 years and a lot of reflection and statistical analysis, I've realized that I don't need to do them anymore.

This means I will focus my recruiting of teachers and teaching assistants on:
  • word of mouth (which is where the vast majority of our teachers come from anyway)
  • this blog
  • my ebook
  • social networking
Let's face it - the best teachers and teaching assistants do their research. They find us because they're looking for us.  They always do.  Even the best teachers that I've met at university job fairs did their research first and found this blog online.  Check out Jenn's interview for a great example of this.

It also means that I will be more available in our Canadian office.  When I travel, it makes it hard for teachers to reach me, but now I'm here most of the time.

It also means that my competitors will jump up and down in their excitement that we're not going to the universities and they are.  Okay, maybe they won't jump up and down, but they will be very happy. I'm okay with that. 

I love what I do with Classroom Canada, and while I love our growth (it's HUGE!) I am also very aware that our success is based on the quality of our staff, not the quantity.  I could have hundreds of teachers and teaching assistants, and I have less than 100. That's the way I like it.  Next year, we will have more than that, but our quality will always remain the best. 

Linda is recruiting Canadian Teaching Assistants and Nursery Nurses so that division is growing quickly.  I will focus more on Classroom America as well.  I know there are amazing American teachers out there and I want to meet them too.

Also, I should say that I will continue to do presentations at universities.  My presentations cover: how to be a successful teacher, the power of positive thinking and the teacher job hunt, the power of positive thinking in inner city teaching and of course, Classroom Canada.  Linda and I will be doing presentations in British Columbia for Early Childhood Education graduates and Teaching Assistants. 

I am interviewing teachers who want to teach in London this January, next April and September 2010. 

If you would like to become one of our outstanding teachers or teaching assistants in London, just apply through our website. Also, be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians. Sign up for our newsletters and help spread the word to your friends and colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails