Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Teachers, Teaching Assistants & Teaching in London: How Do You Sleep At Night?

We all know that children need enough sleep to learn in school.  We tell parents that all the time, and we always know when students have been up too late at night to concentrate in class, keep their heads screwed on straight, get along with each other and all 'round have fun learning in school.  You know those emotional breakdowns over something that would otherwise not be so big?  It's the sleepy-cranks at work.

So, what about teachers and teaching assistants?  What about their own sleep patterns?

We have a group of teachers working full-time in our London schools, and for some of them this is their first full-time, long term teaching contract.  Some of them supply taught, and know the rhythm of teaching life in London, but it's their first full time contract, so the stress can be a lot to handle. 

Others have experience back home, and still they feel the stress teaching in London.  Let's face it, teaching is hard. It's stressful.  We need our sleep!

Our new teachers are slowly picking up days here & there, (it is the beginning of the new year, always a slow time for supply teaching) and we've had hundreds of teachers with other agencies trying to get into our team since their agencies don't have work for them.  We prioritize our loyal teachers first and foremost of course. 

But the point is that it's stressful for everyone in education at this time of year.  Even for us recruitment consultants!  I was up at 4:30 am on MSN with my colleagues in London, who were shouting at me in caps-lock, "GO TO BED WOMAN!", but hey, I wake up, I check email and I got work to do here people!

So, this brings me to you.  What do you do to help yourself sleep through the night?  Do you take sleeping pills like the teachers I know in Ontario with years of experience who still struggle with sleep?  Do you listen to Paul McKenna's hypnotic voice & try to get back to sleep?  Do you count sheep? Or do you just get up, and get on with it?  Or, maybe you sleep like a log and can brag about it here.

Please share your thoughts below! 

To become part of the Classroom Canada team, sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

4 comments:

  1. I'm barely functional in the weekday evenings the past two weeks since school has started up again. It's been a real adjustment going back to the school routine, and because I have a chock-full timetable this year, I feel more tired at the end of each day.

    So, most days I have been sleeping quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about this when I was in the nursery class last week. The kids are at school from 9:00am-3:30pm every day, running around non-stop! By the end of the day all the kids were starting to nod off and four of them were actually passed out on the floor, poor things! I was really surprised that they didn't have nap-time, or even just a quiet time. It was just go go go!
    As for me, I've been having terrible sleeps since moving here! I blame my memory foam mattress at home, I was so spoiled, hahaha. But I know that no naps and a run a few hours before helps, so I'm trying hard to stick to a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the exception of one night (not sure why) I have slept like a baby here. Actually, it's 9:51pm and I feel like I'm up late, I am usually in bed between 9 and 10:30 and I love it! And I'm not even working yet! I usually get up between 6 and 6:30. Just how I like to do it...

    Once I'm supply teaching, it will likely be similar but if I end up with my own class... will likely be a lot later. When I have a lot on my mind (like teaching prep), I'm usually up late or on and off, and I have never tried sleeping pills, I usually just go online and do whatever!

    But honestly, not sleeping is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sleep like a log at night because, after a full day at work and then a full evening of school-related labour at my "dining" table, I am exhausted! Anyway, off to bed for me.......

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails