Friday, September 11, 2009

The Feedback is Outstanding! Our Teachers in London Rock.



My colleagues in London, who are mostly teachers themselves, have been sending me emails all week to rave about how amazing the Classroom Canada teachers are.  It's a bit of a frantic time for new teachers to London, with work always being a bit slow in the beginning (teachers aren't sick yet, and they aren't out at conferences or courses yet either) so we know it can be a very stressful time. 

But the feedback from my colleagues is that this particular group of teachers have amazing attitudes and are so easy to work with.  Now that's what I like to hear!

I take a lot of pride in preparing teachers to hit the ground running in London, and in placing teachers right in the centre of London, at Oxford Circus, making it easier for them to take jobs anywhere in the city with less travel time.  Their positive attitudes are definitely catching!  It would be easy to panic, complain about London being dirty (sure it is compared to our clean Canadian cities!), and worry about the teaching itself.

This group is awesome!  They head out to the free museums, go to Brighton, go for a run in Regent's Park, anything to keep themselves enjoying London and these free days before the supply teaching & full time jobs take over their lives. They have organized to meet up at the Maple Leaf in Covent Garden to mix & mingle with the other Canadians, not waiting for the agency to organize a social for them.  I am impressed and very, very proud.  This is why I do what I do.

The above video is for Tyson.  Hope ya'all have fun at the Maple Leaf this weekend!

To become part of the Classroom Canada team, sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I've been scouring the TES for London jobs--just keeping an eye out for what is available, etc. I'm curious why there has been a huge jump in the number of jobs available? I'm not looking for a specific subject, I'm just looking at all the London jobs. Why are there so many now when there weren't this many previously?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question Anon! You're right, the TES jobs have jumped from about 30 posted last week, to more than 700 this week. We LOVE this!

    There are a variety of reasons for this, but my guess would be that they didn't fill the jobs at the end of last year, had summer holidays and came back to school and post the same jobs again. Between hiring the right teachers & teaching assistants, the schools just juggle their staff around in the first month until it all gets sorted.

    This happens every year - it is predictable, and very much a common pattern for London schools anyway. Ontario schools have the same thing, but because they have an overflow of teachers, we don't see the pattern as much.

    A few other factors are: stress/maternity leave, teachers who were hired don't show up (which is one of the reasons schools don't interview as many overseas candidates while they are still abroad - they've been burned too many times in the past with no-shows), higher enrollment, promotions of teachers to senior management roles, and so on.

    I hope this helps!
    Cheers
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, really? We're being praised for enjoying our free time in London?? I've obviously stumbled into the right business, because life could not possibly be any better right now. I love being here, checking out the city and getting to know the other teachers. It's a total blast!

    Of course I hope to start working in the next couple of weeks, but I feel confident that will happen. And in the meantime, I'm taking full advantage of what this incredible city has to offer.

    I feel blessed just to have been chosen to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol- yes indeed. It's also a really stressful time for my colleagues- they want you guys out working as much as you do & find that your positive attitudes are so refreshing!

    In the past, people would freak out in the first week, expecting work to just fall in their laps, and it was hard to handle to say the least. But you all have such great "can-do" attitudes. Sounds cheesy, but I swear, it makes us work that much harder to place you! I am very, very proud.

    This job rocks. You rock. We all rock. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I can understand why some people might freak out. It is a really scary thing to move to a new country without any guarantees of work. But I'm not worried at all. Why? I guess I have you to thank for that.

    You, and Classroom in general, never cease to exceed my expectations. You are all so helpful and positive and friendly and supportive, and also so forthright... it's impossible not to feel confident that I am being well taken care of. I know there are going to be good days and bad days, but I also know the good days will more than make up for the bad days, and that I have a wonderful support network there when I need it.

    So thank you! You are all amazing, and I'm far from being the only one who thinks so... it's come up in conversation with every Classroom Canada teacher I've met so far. Please let the others know that they are doing a lot to make OUR jobs easier, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thanks Bryn! I'll be sure to let the others in the London office know how you feel.

    Have a fabulous weekend & enjoy London!
    :-)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way, the deleted comment was me signed in under my brother-in-law's name, so I had to delete and re-post it under my name. Woops!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails