Monday, July 13, 2009

Teacher Jobs in London: Male Primary Teachers Needed

The TDAS (Training & Development Agency for Schools) is launching a push to increase the number of male teachers in primary schools in the UK this week. It's about time!

I work with about 80% female teachers, not because I choose to, but because of the application ratio of female to male teacher applicants. Traditionally, there are more male applicants for secondary school teacher positions than female. And for primary schools, we have more female teacher applicants than male. Many more.

I really noticed the gender gap when I was in teacher's college at Queen's. Why do so many more women go into elementary teaching than men? What do you think?

I believe our children need both male & female role models. While teaching in London schools really showed this to me, I believe we also have the same issue at play here in Canada.

To read more about male primary teachers, please see these articles:

Schools Launch Drive to Recruit Male Teachers by Anushka Asthana, the Guardian

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians.


1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure the reason why more women teach in Elementary than men. I do know that I was an elementary major for a while, but something told me to do Secondary. I think one reason why men are not Elementary school teachers is the fact that some parents may raise an eyebrow to seeing a fully grown man with their little child. Our world is messed up in jumping to conclusions all the time. I agree with the fact that there needs to be more male teachers in elementary schools. I have written passages in some of my class papers about this. A lot of kids need a "father figure" as well as a "mother figure" in their lives. It helps them to grow up into better people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails