Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Reason #56 to Teach in London, England: Online Grocery Shopping

There are many things that I miss about living in London, England and grocery shopping is actually one of them. Let me explain.

I live in Victoria, Canada now and help Canadian & American teachers make the move to London with Classroom Canada. Although I am originally from Ottawa, I love living on Vancouver Island and for work, it makes the most sense. I can talk to teachers across the country and take advantage of the time zone difference by living in BC. But for my personal life, well....let's just say that I had much more of a night life living in London than I do here in Victoria. I'm not complaining, but just helping you to see the difference.

Back to groceries. Victoria has a few chain grocery stores, independent health food stores and of course, organic deliveries. Ontario has Loblaws & PC products - I love PC products, and now drive 40 minutes out of Victoria to get them at the Green Store in Langford. Not so green right?

But London is a whole different story. M&S Food - oh how I love thee! Tesco, Morrison's, Iceland, Asda, Sainsbury's...so many choices!

And the best part? You can order your groceries online and pay only 5 pounds for delivery. Go in with your flatmates, and it's cheaper to order your groceries online and have them delivered to your door than it is to actually go to the store yourself.

To help you, here is the Tesco site to register for online shopping. You can use my former postal code - W11 3LF, as you need a postal code to register, but can change it later when you actually do move to London.

Check the prices and work out how much you think you will be spending on food. I generally spent between 30 and 50 pounds/week, but did mostly buy organics and a few bottles of wine. Not bad I think.

Asda & Iceland are your cheaper grocery stores, Sainsburys and M&S Food are more expensive. You can also buy clothes in many of the stores, and they're not hideous! My gym gear is all from Tesco.

What do you think? Do you order your groceries online where you are? Would you like to?

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadiansto help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

7 comments:

  1. Ummm... YES I would like to! This sounds awesome! Now I'm even more excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually LOVE grocery shopping. I wander around looking for inspiration and ideas for new recipes. I'm really annoying to grocery shop with. My friend from Slovenia once told me I'd make a terrible wife because I spend so long in the grocery store. But hey, insert online grocery shopping and marriage solved! Haha.

    I'd likely still go to the store anyways, because I love to, but if I was short on time or the grocer's was a distance away, I'm sure I'd like this....and likely save money, because I wouldn't be picking up all those extras.

    You know what I'd like to do? I might write a blog comparing food costs item by item using the websites you mentioned. Hmmmm....I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE pc products too! Galen Weston is my boyfriend :)
    But I agree with Kirbie, I loooove grocery shopping! It's one of my favorite things to do with Morgan (although I would never send him alone, who knows what kind of stuff he would bring back!). Whenever I have a bad day a good grocery shop can always cheer me up! Maybe because it's like retail therapy without the guilt because you have to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree - I love grocery shopping too! But only when I have loads of time and can wander around...

    Only problem with shopping in London is that the produce goes bad way faster than in Canada. It's the weirdest thing! So you really have to go every few days for the basics (fruit, veg...).

    Oh, and another cool thing: you can still get your milk delivered by the milk man. No joke. Can you imagine waking up in the morning, going outside and finding 2 glass bottles of milk waiting for you? I think this is only in some parts of London though.

    Thanks for the comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, milk from a milkman? That would be so adorable! I'll have to check into that!

    I so love the European idea of shopping...how you go like every second day and buy just what you need for those days. I loved the cute little grocery stroller-like carts that held hardly anything compared to our Canadian enormous carts.

    You know, it's likely a good thing that the produce goes bad faster...maybe they use less preservatives?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! This is so exciting!! And wow is food ever reasonably priced over there.

    Once I get to London, I don't think I'll be able to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, the wine is a ridiculously good deal there too. Here on the island, I have to pay at least $20 for a half-decent bottle of wine. That same bottle goes for 3-6 pounds in London and is sold in the grocery store!

    Having said that though, the British are well known to be binge-drinkers and teachers are sadly no exception to this rule. Every month or so the newspapers will report on binge-drinking being a major issue for young people, particularly in London. Some folks are trying to make it so grocery stores can't have sales on alcohol.
    Imagine that! A sale on alcohol? So foreign for us Canucks right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails