Monday, June 29, 2009

Teaching in the UK: Behaviour Management Strategies That Work

I have a group of Canadian teachers from coast to coast preparing to teach in the UK in the fall. I also have a few American teachers preparing to teach in London. Everyone wants to know what they should be doing to prepare for teaching in England.

Besides reading this blog, and my ebook, I always tell them to start reading books and websites about behaviour management strategies that work.

Managing the behaviour of the students in London is the biggest adjustment for our teachers to make - they always say it's hard and no, they can't explain why it's hard. It just is. It doesn't matter if you have 10 years experience in Toronto inner city schools (although that will certainly help!), or if you just graduated in May from teacher's college.

The best ways to prepare are to: read more, talk to experienced teachers from London and watch more videos on Teachers TV.

Here's a blog I really enjoy: Sup Teach? I just stumbled across it this morning, and found this particular post to be very helpful. The blog is a collective one, with 8 contributors, similar to our Classroom Canada Teachers blog. One of their contributors, Eyawn, offers this advice in regards to behaviour management:

"I never have arguments with students. It just doesn't happen. I'm not saying I have great relationships with all my kids; a few of them hate my guts, I'm sure. But I definitely AM saying I never have arguments. Ever. What's the secret?

"I understand."

The end-all phrase. The argument killer. I can almost guarantee it's effectiveness."

Read the rest of the post here. And I completely agree - those 2 words are like magic.

Here are a few more blog posts about behaviour management from yours truly:


If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the resources for Class room management:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails