Friday, June 12, 2009

Professional Development Meme 2009

I was recently introduced to Siobhan Curious by Sarah Ebner through blogging and love both their work. I visited Siobhan's blog today and discovered that she's participating in this Professional Development Meme and I want to too! Here's how it works:

Directions:

Summer can be a great time for professional development. It is an opportunity to learn more about a topic, read a particular work or the works of a particular author, beef up an existing unit of instruction, advance one’s technical skills, work on that advanced degree or certification, pick up a new hobby, and finish many of the other items on our ever-growing To Do Lists. Let’s make Summer 2009 a time when we actually get to accomplish a few of those things and enjoy the thrill of marking them off our lists.

The Rules:

NOTE: You do NOT have to wait to be tagged to participate in this meme.

*Pick 1-3 professional development goals and commit to achieving them this summer.
* For the purposes of this activity the end of summer will be Labor Day (09/07/09).
* Post the above directions along with your 1-3 goals on your blog.
* Title your post Professional Development Meme 2009 and link back/trackback to http://clifmims.com/blog/archives/2447.
* Use the following tag/ keyword/ category on your post: pdmeme09.
* Tag 5-8 others to participate in the meme.
* Achieve your goals and “develop professionally.”
* Commit to sharing your results on your blog during early or mid-September.

My Professional Development Goals for Summer of 2009

  1. Learn how to create a course through Edu20.org for teachers who want to know more about teaching in the UK. It's a website that I wrote more about here.  My summer goal is to spend more time navigating my way around the site and to come up with some sort of a course for our teachers & blog readers.
  2. Learn how to drive a car.  I know this might seem a bit strange, but I never learned how to drive and it's a real pain to go to university fairs across Canada without a car.  I always use the excuse that I bike and take public transit in the big city (Londoners really don't need cars after all), but admit that I'm also just very very scared.  Silly scared.  Cry in my hands as I try to figure out which "button" is the clutch and which is the break, and know that neither is actually called  a button.
  3. Read Learn Me Good by John Pearson of Learn Me Good Blog, my new favourite teacher blogger.
I am Tagging:
If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

2 comments:

  1. I've also never learned to drive! It's ridiculous at this point. My excuse is that I cannot, simply cannot, learn to drive in Montreal, because drivers here are insane, but it's been so long since I've stayed anywhere else for a long period that I might have to bite the bullet and take lessons here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had the same excuse in London. It would be silly to learn to drive there. But now I'm here in Victoria, where the average speed is 30km/hour and the biggest issue is that half the drivers can't see over the steering wheel (it is the land of the "newly wed or nearly dead" after all).

    My brother in law learned to drive in Montreal and driving here is really hard for him - he juts around people when they take too long at a 4 way stop, he cuts people off, he gives the "DePeuter thumbs up" - a very passive aggressive way to say "*&^% off!" with a smile. He just thinks everyone should drive like Montrealers and we'd all be fine. Instead, people here drive like they have nowhere to go in a hurry. It's the perfect place to learn I think. Although my brother-in-law is teaching me...;-)

    So we shall see. If you start to take lessons, let me know - we can share stories of the adventures & misadventures of learning how to drive as adults. Surely, it can't be that hard right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails