Friday, June 19, 2009

The Importance of Taking Time Out

Tis the season for end-of-the-school-year stress, freak outs, panic attacks, and all round manic behaviour for those us helping teachers to find jobs in the UK.  In some ways, this is my favourite time of year.  I thrive on the buzz of a busy day.

But I also recognize when stress takes its toll and I need to step back, reflect and just relax. It all works out in the end. It always does.  This time of year is always a bit crazy and if I take one day out of it all, it won't all collapse around me.

So, my niece Sophie is 6 years old and very good at all things academic.  She's at the top of her class, and I have no doubt that skipping school for one day won't hurt her one bit - particularly on a Friday of the last couple weeks of school.  Hey, I was a teacher right? I know the teachers are just trying to get through to the end, and there's not a whole lot of learning going on.

Sophie loves all things Chinese.  I have no idea why Chinese over all other cultures, but I encourage her to explore her fascination.  She has Chinese clothes, watches Chinese shows, learns Chinese writing and loves Chinese food.  It's the sweetest thing.  

All of this is to say, I'm playing hooky with Sophie today and going to "Chinese town."   I'm so excited to see what kinds of things she becomes fascinated with. I've promised her that we will buy "Chinese sticks" (aka chop sticks) and that she can get another small thing.  I wonder what she'll choose?  I have a feeling that Hello Kitty will be on the top of her list.  

Have a great weekend!  What kinds of things do you do when you need to just step away from it all?

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

2 comments:

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails