Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Monday, June 29, 2009
"I never have arguments with students. It just doesn't happen. I'm not saying I have great relationships with all my kids; a few of them hate my guts, I'm sure. But I definitely AM saying I never have arguments. Ever. What's the secret?"I understand."
The end-all phrase. The argument killer. I can almost guarantee it's effectiveness."
Friday, June 26, 2009
Thursday, June 25, 2009
- Science (Chemistry, Biology, Physics)
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Well ladies, that's how to dress at Royal Ascot. Great hats, gorgeous dresses, with champagne in hand. Thanks to Alex, Daniela and Erika for letting me share their photos & story with you all.
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Monday, June 22, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
Thursday, June 18, 2009
- Electronics Activities for the Young Mad Scientist
- The Measurement Adventure
- Under Assault: Teaching in NYC - Woof Woof!
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
- The New Bond Movies - always have scenes set in London
- Bridget Jones Diary - of course!
- To Sir With Love
- Bend it Like Beckham
- Fever Pitch
- Love Actually
- Notes on a Scandal (filmed in one of the schools I help find teachers)
- Notting Hill
- Scenes of a Sexual Nature (filmed in Hamstead Heath, a great park that you will likely spend some time in if you teach in London)
- Shaun of the Dead
- Four Weddings & A Funeral
Friday, June 12, 2009
I was recently introduced to Siobhan Curious by Sarah Ebner through blogging and love both their work. I visited Siobhan's blog today and discovered that she's participating in this Professional Development Meme and I want to too! Here's how it works:
Summer can be a great time for professional development. It is an opportunity to learn more about a topic, read a particular work or the works of a particular author, beef up an existing unit of instruction, advance one’s technical skills, work on that advanced degree or certification, pick up a new hobby, and finish many of the other items on our ever-growing To Do Lists. Let’s make Summer 2009 a time when we actually get to accomplish a few of those things and enjoy the thrill of marking them off our lists.
NOTE: You do NOT have to wait to be tagged to participate in this meme.
*Pick 1-3 professional development goals and commit to achieving them this summer.
* For the purposes of this activity the end of summer will be Labor Day (09/07/09).
* Post the above directions along with your 1-3 goals on your blog.
* Title your post Professional Development Meme 2009 and link back/trackback to http://clifmims.com/blog/archives/2447.
* Use the following tag/ keyword/ category on your post: pdmeme09.
* Tag 5-8 others to participate in the meme.
* Achieve your goals and “develop professionally.”
* Commit to sharing your results on your blog during early or mid-September.
My Professional Development Goals for Summer of 2009
- Learn how to create a course through Edu20.org for teachers who want to know more about teaching in the UK. It's a website that I wrote more about here. My summer goal is to spend more time navigating my way around the site and to come up with some sort of a course for our teachers & blog readers.
- Learn how to drive a car. I know this might seem a bit strange, but I never learned how to drive and it's a real pain to go to university fairs across Canada without a car. I always use the excuse that I bike and take public transit in the big city (Londoners really don't need cars after all), but admit that I'm also just very very scared. Silly scared. Cry in my hands as I try to figure out which "button" is the clutch and which is the break, and know that neither is actually called a button.
- Read Learn Me Good by John Pearson of Learn Me Good Blog, my new favourite teacher blogger.
- Heather McFadzean of Heather in the UK
- Mr. Teacher of Urban School Teacher Blog
- Jodi & Tyson of Across the Pond
- Erika of Classroom Canada Teachers Blog
- Brynzapoppin of Dramatic Education Blog