Friday, May 1, 2009

Survey Results from the Classroom Canada Newsletters

At the beginning of the week, I emailed subscribers to our newsletters and asked for their feedback. I asked these three questions:

  1. How many email newsletters would you like to read per month?
  2. What information would you like to see more of?
  3. What is your impression of Classroom Canada?
I also asked for any advice, feedback, comments or questions. The results are in! Click on the photo above to see the more detailed answers.

Here are the results in a nutshell.
  1. For the number of emails per month, most want only 1 email/month, but 2 emails/month follows closely behind. I'm pleased to hear this, as I usually only send 1 email a month but every once in a while if there is important information, then 2 emails are sent. Sounds like we're on the right track for most people anyway.
  2. The vast majority of our readers want more information about: specific job teaching posts, nitty gritty details (visa, flights, accommodations) and information about the application process. I will send out an email next month with all of these details.
  3. The impression of Classroom Canada is an interesting one! 42 people answered. 26 people said that we are a caring, friendly and informative teaching agency; 22 said we are Canadian owned & operated, 12 said their staff genuinely care about their teachers experiences, 13 said we have plenty of teaching jobs and 10 said that we are experienced teachers ourselves. Now, this question had drop-down answers, where you can select more than one answer. So, some people selected a few answers and some people just selected one. In hindsight, to make these results more useful, I would change the drop down menu so that people can only choose one. I can't tell by these results if I should really change anything. What do you think?
Here are the results for the final question, where I asked for any advice or feedback:
  1. I've noticed a recurring theme in the Coffee Time Series interviews that I have come across so far - the difficulty Canadian teachers have faced/are facing with classroom and behaviour management - would it be a good idea to compile a list of strategies that teachers over in London have already tried, along with whether they were successful or not? If there is already a similar feature on the Classroom site, I apologize!
  2. I like how Victoria is passionate about what she does, and takes the time to answer questions throughly and completely. Victoria is honest about her experiences and genuine.
  3. It would be nice if you could share how likely it is to get a full time position or how often you get sub work. I heard some companies provide more work than others depending on the amount of schools they have on their list.
  4. I would really like to hear more about the job postings in London. That is what makes me remember a teaching agency the most -- access to jobs.
  5. I'd like to know more about people comparing and contrasting the teaching experiences between UK and Canada in the coffee time series.
  6. I really wish that the Guide to Teaching in London was available as a print edition, perhaps by special order.
  7. I haven't used classroom canada except to read your email newsletter.
  8. Finding a lecturer in education studies post or an English teacher post in the UK is not the problem. What is the serious problem is to find ways to beat the point-based visa. So far I had two real good interviews and waiting to hear from them. If I do not hear from them, it would be for that bloody point-based visa issue. Employers have to heavily justify that there were no candidates for this post; thus, they are applying for a sponsorship visa.
There's a lot of great feedback in these comments.

Here are some blog posts that deal with these issues:
Teaching Jobs in London, England
Teacher Jobs in London Up by 21-32%
10 Myths About Teaching in London

Sometimes it's hard to hear the truth, but I really believe it's important to take into account every person's views on what we are doing & how we come across. I have to admit that I often feel as though I am repeating myself through this blog, the interviews I conduct, the Guide to Teaching in London and in answering general queries. I often worry that people must think I sound like a broken record. Judging from the answers above, I'm just being paranoid. People clearly want more information about the nitty-gritty details (visas, jobs, accommodations), and they don't necessarily read this blog on a regular enough basis to know this information already. So, I need to send this information through the newsletters as well as through the blog.

What about you? If this is your first time to this blog, what do you think? And, for all those fabulous regular readers out there, please please please give your feedback to this survey below! What would you like me to write about? Am I a broken record? Thanks for sharing. :-)

Check out the brand-spanking-new Classroom Canada Teachers Blog where our teachers share their insights, stories, photos, rants, raves and everything in between about teaching in London.

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails