Thursday, April 16, 2009

Resources for Teaching in London: Canadian Books for Kids

Some of our teachers are packing their bags to arrive in London in the next couple of weeks and others will arrive in September and October. They all want to know what to bring.

Here's a book I love to throw in my bag and keep on hand while teaching in London schools: Find Out About Canada by Sue McMillan. It's only 64 pages and spiral bound, so a light addition to your suitcase.

I wrote the following review on Amazon:
This is a great book to explain all things Canadiana to someone from another country. It can be used for students in Kindergarten because it has plenty of visuals & you can use it in read-a-loud. But you can use the book all the way through to adult age students. I can particularly see it being used for grades 6-10 with reading comprehension, ESL, EAL etc.

It's very much written for a non-Canadian audience, and I love it for my teaching in London, England. When I have a few spare minutes, I can pull out the book & start a focused discussion on something Canadian - the students love it and so do I.
Other than one or two good Canadian books, I recommend bringing your teacher resources on a USB stick and saving your bookmarks on Delicious so you can access your favourite web based resources wherever you are.

Here is a blog post about packing advice as well.

What do you recommend? Are there any great resources out there that you'd like others to know about? Please share your thoughts below.

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't find very tasty bagels; no whole-wheat or blueberry. The ones in the UK were only plain and cinnamon I think, and not as good. I'd have friends bring over a package of good bagels. I also would eat instant oatmeal everyday because it was quick to make, but they only have about two flavors other than plain. I also couldn't find good jogging/work out clothes that were warm and a reasonable price (and didn't make me look like a lump or 40 years older than I am). I had to go to Lily's in Piccadilly Circus, and the prices were quite high.

    Those were some things that I just missed there, there are more, but I can't think of them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for teaching; I think a small stuffed animal, perhaps something to do with your home country that you could use for management/class games. For example, the one holding the stuffed toy is the one that shares comment about the story, or tells what they've learnt from the Maths lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stickers from North America! Rewards are huge for London school kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails