Friday, April 17, 2009

Generation Web 2.0: Teachers & Word of Mouth

I don't pay for advertising anymore. I did when I first started Classroom Canada in July 2007, but in the past year I've made a very conscious decision to not advertise at all. In the recruitment business, that's a whole new ballgame!

So why not advertise? Because I know that the Classroom Canada teachers talk. Let's face it, all teachers talk! If they have a bad experience, they'll tell everyone they can. That's how I heard so many horror stories about teaching in London schools. I'd go the pub and meet other teachers and hear all about how their agencies suck, how they don't care about them, they lied and said they'd get them a job or accommodations or hold socials and professional development sessions.

After being in recruiting for 5 years, I know which agencies I trust and which ones I would avoid at all costs. I know because I'm a teacher and I talk to other teachers.

So, with Classroom Canada, I trust our teachers and know that if we do right by them, they'll do right by us. It's simple right? I interviewed a teacher just the other day who said she did a whole bunch of research online and tried to find someone who would say something negative about their experience with us, and she could only find positive. That made my day!

I'm a bit cynical and know that at some point, someone, somewhere will say something that's not so great. But the vast majority of our teachers will say they had a good experience teaching in London with us because we're honest, we care & we put that little bit of extra effort into making sure their experience is a positive one.

Thanks to all those teachers and bloggers and education enthusiasts out there who read this blog & share their thoughts on teaching in London. Twitterers, facebookers, stumbleuponers...all you Web 2.0 folks who continue to share information, advice, feedback and guidance - you're changing the way we view the world. And it's getting better every day.

If you'd like to become part of the Classroom Canada team, please sign up for our newsletters & apply through our website. Be sure to read the Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians to help you understand everything you need to know about teaching in London.

3 comments:

  1. Victoria- This is an interesting and engaging post. It prompted me to look at Classroom Canada's website, which, strangely, I had never done before.

    And now I have some queries: How, exactly, do you find teaching positions for the teachers who come on board with you? Are you effectively an employment agency for Canadian teachers in the UK? As for quality control, how do you ensure that the teachers you send in to schools are doing a good job and therefore properly representing CC? How do teachers in Canada find out about you? Have you considered branching out and dealing with other countries in addition to Canada? What is your own teaching experience and you still teach? And finally- whatprompted you to do this job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mr. Teacher,
    Thanks for all the questions! I think the best way for me to answer them all is to turn them into a blog post next week. Mr. Teacher Interviews Victoria Westcott - how does that sound?
    Hope you enjoy the last 2 days of Easter Break before going back to teaching in Monday.
    Cheers,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fab. I'll look forward to it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails