Saturday, February 7, 2009

Teaching the World's Students About the World Today

I interviewed a teacher for a position teaching in London, England a couple of days ago and it really stood out in my mind. The teacher had previously volunteered in one of the world's largest slums in Nairobi, Kenya. We had a great discussion about her experience and I'd love to learn more about it.

I did a teaching practicum in Bangladesh when I went to Queen's for my B.Ed and saw true slums for the first time of my life. It ain't pretty to say the least. I can only imagine what it's like to actually live in one.

Anyway, here is a great resource for teaching your students about how others live in the world. Whether you teach geography, history, sociology, politics or business studies, this particular website will open your students eyes no matter where you are.

Keep in mind that in London some of your students might be refugees and this kind of website will need to be shown with sensitivity & care. Perhaps discuss the idea with your Year Group Leader or Head Teacher before sharing it with your class. I think it's a brilliant website though! Check it out here.

To thank you for reading this little blog of mine, we're offering 50% off the ebook, Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians.

Click here to get the code you need for the discount.

Don't forget to Sign up for our newsletters to read more about
teaching in London, England.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails