Thursday, February 19, 2009

How Many Teachers Move to London, England with Classroom Canada?


I get asked all the time how many teachers we have, how many we select and how many we interview. I can't share that information, but I can tell you that only 25% of the people I interviewed in the past 2 months will actually teach in London with us. We don't have a specific ratio that we work with but select only the best teachers. We select based on whether we are 100% certain that this person will be teaching with us full-time (whether through daily supply teaching or in a long term contract for the whole year).

Our extensive experience both in teaching & recruiting taught us that word of mouth is the best way to get great teachers. If you stumbled across this blog it's very unlikely that you found it through an advertisement because we simply don't need to advertise.

Our teachers are fabulous teachers who are loyal & dedicated to Classroom Canada. They recognize that they are working for an incredibly selective agency & in exchange for their loyalty they get great jobs in London as well as a community of Canadian teachers to live & travel with.

Lately, I've noticed quite a few applicants have an attitude of "Well, why should I be interviewed by you?" These teachers tend to still be in teachers college and assume that because there is a shortage of teachers in the UK and plenty of agencies recruiting for London that they can have their pick of the agencies. That might be the case with some agencies, but that's not how we roll.

To be frank, the best new teachers never have this attitude. Experienced teachers don't either. I work with teachers with 10 years experience and they would never ask me, "Why should I interview with you?" It's rude. They know that. They do their research & know that they are making a choice just as much as we are. If you don't know what we do, look online. I am the only recruiter who writes & maintains a daily blog with information just for teachers doing their research. Why do I do this? To help you make informed, educated decisions of course. I want you to be successful.

If you're not sure what to ask, perhaps start by asking yourself, "Would I ask this same question of the ______ District School Board?" If the answer is no, then you know your answer. Do the same thing with emails. Ask yourself, "Would I send this kind of an email to the school board I want to work at?" and more importantly, would you expect a response? Sometimes I get emails from teachers who forget to use spell check, ask the same question in 10 different ways and have obviously sent the same email to 10 different agencies. I always reply, but it's with gritted teeth. I'm probably the only person who actually does reply to these emails, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I always assume they just don't know what to do. So I write it out here in the blog to help.

So to end on a positive note, I'd like to thank the 25% of teachers I interviewed over the past couple of months that are outstanding.

You know who you are because I sent you a congratulations email & invited you to join our select group of teachers in London. You are professional, dedicated, loyal, enthusiastic, flexible, outgoing & all 'round great teachers. Thank you! You make it so that I want to wake up every morning at 7am and check my email to see if there's anything else I can do to make your journey to teaching in London a successful & enjoyable one. I have the best job in the whole world and it's because of you. I can't thank you enough.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

If you're doing your research, please keep reading this blog. That's why it's here! On the right hand side, you'll find interviews with our teachers in London as well as interviews with the recruiters you will be interviewed by. Subscribe to our newsletters & bookmark this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails