So, here are some random Canadian tidbits to help you teach your students a bit more about Canada.
- 90% of the world's gumballs are made in Canada according to Stuart McLean on his Vinyl Cafe podcast.
- The life expectancy of a Canadian female is 80 years, and for a Canadian male it's 73.
- In 1988 Palm Dairies of Edmonton created the world's largest ice cream sundae 24,900 kg. (54,895 lbs.) (fact taken from Life in the Twilight Zone blog)
- California has more people than all of Canada.
- Canada has 3.5 people per square km. The UK has 249.
- Lacrosse is Canada's official summer sport, and ice hockey is Canada's official winter sport.
- Many Canadians like to read magazines in the bathroom (simply called "the toilet" in the UK, meaning the room the toilet is in). This can be considered absolutely disgusting by others. We even read books like this series.
Do you have any other tidbits to share with us? Please share your random Canadian facts below.
Sign up for our newsletters to read more about teaching in London, England. Download a free chapter of the ebook, Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians. If you like that chapter, buy the ebook! If you're not satisfied, I'll give you your money back. I've never had to refund anyone yet so I'm confident I won't have to!