Monday, December 1, 2008

Education in the News: UK vs. Canadian Newspapers

One of the reasons I love teaching in London, England is that education is talked about daily in the newspapers. It's a national issue and one that is debated and discussed on a very regular basis. Open any UK newspaper and you'll find an Education section, just like you would a Sports or Business section.

Canadians newspapers have occasional Education features, whereas UK newspapers have Education sections.

It's a good idea to start reading the UK education sections if you are considering teaching in England. Here are some links to get you started.

The Guardian Education Section

This is my personal favourite. Regular readers of this blog will notice that I am constantly referring to the Guardian. I was also a member of the Guardian book club when I lived in London, and got to meet Margaret Atwood and Zadie Smith through their author series. If you're an avid reader, join the club.

The Times Online Education Section
The best part of this section is Sarah Ebner's School Gate blog.

The Independent Education Section
Another good UK newspaper to follow.

Times Educational Supplement (aka The TES)
The TES is a weekly newspaper about Education. It's mostly read by teachers & administrators looking for new jobs, but it also carries a solid amount of news about changes to education as well. The online edition is excelent, and an incredible resource for overseas teachers to start their research into teaching in the UK.

Canadian Newspapers

The Globe & Mail

The Globe & Mail doesn't have an education section, but it does have articles related to education issues on a semi-regular basis. Today, I found a couple of good articles about Ontario teachers and their salary debates.

The National Post
The National Post barely touches on issues in education, at least if you judge today's edition. I couldn't find any articles on the Ontario salary issue, which surprised me.

Want more information? Read 10 Myths About Teaching in London, and 52 Reasons to Teach in London. Buy the Guide to Teaching in London or download a free chapter today!

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Thanks very much for the heads-up. Mutual appreciation - I enjoy your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Barbara

    http://www.ipodepot.info

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails