Friday, October 17, 2008

Teachers in London: Have a Cuppa

Years ago, I went to a presentation by a Head Teacher in London who turned failing schools into outstanding ones. I can't remember his name, nor the names of the schools he worked in. But I do remember one piece of advice that has stuck with me: T-CUP.

T-CUP stands for Total Control Under Pressure. It's simple, easy to remember and it works. When you find yourself in a class that just seems too much to handle, take a deep breath and think "T-Cup" and you'll be okay.

I had a very good Teaching Assistant at one point and she knew me well enough to know when to ask, "Miss Westcott, would you like a cuppa tea?"

It was her way of telling me to chill out, remain calm and in control. No matter what chaos was going on around me I could handle it. I was the teacher in the room after all! She was a brilliant TA and I'm forever grateful for her encouragement of me.

So, to all those teachers who are feeling tired, and wondering how they'll make it to the half-term break (it's 1 week away!), sit down and have a cuppa. You deserve it and the kids will appreciate you maintaining your calm, collected presence.

PS) When I say have a cuppa, I'm not meaning in the classroom. You can get in trouble for the hot liquids in the classroom. Save it for the staff room, or hey, just go to the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails