Friday, October 10, 2008

More Resources for Teachers About to Move to London, England



1. Guide to Teaching in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians.
All 110 pages are jam-packed with everything you need to know about teaching in London, England. Written by yours truly, edited by Jennifer Westcott and designed by Caroline Bishop. Sadly, the website is down today but I have been assured it will be back up by Monday.

2. Living in London: A Survival Guide for Canadians by Network Canada.
I can't say this enough - get this book. Every question you have is answered and more! Health care, apartment hunting, job hunting, where to go oot & aboot, taxes...it's all in here.

3. TES Connect
The TES - or Times Educational Supplement - is a newspaper dedicated to teachers & education. Their website is packed with useful information for all teachers. The community is a place where you can discuss issues and post your questions and is the place I recommend for you. You can also see jobs posted by schools across the UK. If you're keen to apply, please read this post first.

4. The Guardian Newspaper - Education Section
Regular readers have likely noticed that I am often inspired by what I read in the Guardian. I love this paper. Yes, it's lefty and I'm okay with that. There's also the Times (which is where the TES originates), but I prefer the Guardian. We just don't have anything like it in Canada (seriously, the Globe & Mail and the National Post just don't compare). You can get a weekly Guardian sent to your home in Canada, which sums up the events into a neat little newspaper, but costs a fortune. I read it online, and try to go to the Education section a few times a week.

5. Canuck Abroad
Canuck Abroad is an online forum for Canadians scattered around the world. The Canadians in the UK section is where you'll find people just like you either already in the UK or just doing their research.

6. Teachers TV
This is probably the best resource for you and shouldn't be way down at #6. Here you can watch real teachers in real classrooms and the issues they face. Learn everything by watching television. Really, this site is brilliant. I have to admit that my first reaction to this station was "Oh ya right - in my free time away from teaching I'm gonna watch tv about teaching". Well, I was wrong. This channel (only available in the UK) and website is brilliant. How else can you see what it's really like? Watch more tv!

Have I missed anything great? Please let me know by posting your comment below. If you like this post, you might like A Simple Guide to Supply Teaching in London, 10 Myths About Teaching in London, Important Words to Know and Typical Interview Questions for Teaching in London. Subscribe to the RSS feed as well!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Victoria
    You absolutley can link to my blog. I can't guarantee that there will be anything particularly useful or interesting, though, haha.
    Have a good one
    Marianne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails