Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hey Teachers: Can You Pass This Spelling Test?

School Gate posted a blog entry this week about the Times Spelling Bee in the UK for students aged 11-12. In it, they provide us with a link to a spelling test that teacher trainees take. 11 000 of these potential teachers failed the test last year. EEK!

So, here's a challenge for you, dear readers. Go to this site, take the test and report your results here in the comments section. I'll be taking the test myself later on today and will report my results as well. I'm not the world's best speller (and my grammar ain't all that good either) so I can't imagine that I'll get the best score, but I sure hope I pass!

As Canadians, our spelling can be quite confused. We tend to use American or British spellings, and so teaching in London presents a different challenge for us. Don't use the American spelling! That's the best advice I can give you now anyway.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Here are my results:
    Spelling: 19
    Punctuation: 0 (I skipped this section by mistake, woops!)
    Grammar: 10
    Comprehension: 8

    I passed! So, if I had to take the QTS test (which I explain the Guide to Teaching in London ebook) I would pass. And that's even with a whole section skipped! Phew.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your two pence!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails